The River Police Organization was set-up vide Govt. Letter No. HMP. 307/79/52 dtd. 24.07.79 for constitution of a separate River Police district on the River Brahmaputra covering Goalpara, Kamrup and Darrang district comprising 4 (four) River Police Stations and 6 (Six ) River Police Out Posts.
Delegation of Financial Powers
The Governor of Assam in declaring the Dy. Inspector General of Police (B) Assam as Drawing & Disbursing Officer of River Police Organisation vide Govt. Notification No.HMP.307/79/71 Dtd. 15-11-1979. This sanction issued with the concurrence of the Finance (Esstt. B) Deptt. conveyed in their U.O. No. FEB 380/79 Dtd. 12-11-1979 created the post of Superintendent of River Police Organisation, Assam, Guwahati, vide Govt. of Assam, Home (A) Deptt. Letter No. HMA. 364/2012/20 dtd. 21-02-2013. The sanction was issued with the concurrence of Finance (EC-II) Deptt. vide their U.O. No. FEC (II) 1743/2012 dtd. 20-12-2012.
- To prevent and detect crime in the riverine route and char areas of the river Brahmaputra.
- To maintain law & order in riverine route and char areas of the river Brahmaputra.
- To keep vigilance on extremist activities /anti-social elements and smuggling of goods in the riverine route and char areas of the river Brahmaputra.
- To prevent and detect illegal infiltration through the riverine routes of the river Brahmaputra from Bangladesh.
- To detect and to keep surveillance of un-authorized boats/engine boats etc.
- The riverine area spans a total of 110 km along the India-Bangladesh border.
- The land area spans 137.72 kms along the India Bangladesh border.
River Police Stations (RPS)
- Goalpara River Police Station (Pancharatna) located in Goalpara district
- Sualkuchi River Police Station
- Tezpur River Police Station located in Sonitpur district
- Biswamath Ghat River Police Station located in Sonitpur district
River Police Out Post (RPOP)
- Buraburi (Mahamaya) River Police Out Post, Dhubri district
- Nagarbera River Police Out Post, Kamrup district
- Beki River Police Out Post, Barpeta district
- Pandu River Police Out Post (un-sanctioned), Guwahati Police Commissionerate
- Chanderdinga River Police Out Post, Dhubri district
- Majeralga River Police Out Post, Bongaigaon district
- Aye River Police Out Post, Bongaigaon district