Anti Human Trafficking Units (AHTU) have been created and operationalized in all district of Assam to effectively combat crimes related to trafficking of persons specially women and children. Out of the 35 Numbers of AHTUs, 10 nos of AHTUSs have been provided with funds by MHA. These along with NGOs, Social Welfare Department, Health Department, Labour Department, VDPs’etc.work as a team for gathering intelligence and follow up cases for Combating child trafficking. These AHTUs are functioning with the existing manpower. However some fund have been provided by the Ministry of Home Affairs Govt. of India to these AHTUs. The district Superintendents of Police have been instructed to effectively monitor the functioning of these AHTUs. The district SPs have also been instructed to take the help of the NGO, civic society, Panchayat members, VDP, Govt. agencies, UNICEF etc. to prevent crimes and also to identify vulnerable areas from where such cases are reported frequently and to take necessary action with synergy among the stake holders.
Crime Against Women
- As per the Hon’ble C.M. Assam Vision 2016, 63 Nos. of Women Cells have been created and operationalized in Assam.
- A Task Force was set up by the government, comprising of senior officers from Police, Home dept. and Social Welfare Department to study the entire gamut of the problem and suggest remedial measures. The final report of the task force has already been submitted and approved by the Govt. of Assam. Follow up action has been initiated on the report by the various Govt. Deptts. Like Social Welfare Department, Education, Health, Labour, Transport etc.
- As per govt. order No. PLA 457/2012/129 Dtd.15th October, 2014, a Task Force Coordination Committee has been formed with ADGP, CID as the Chairman to monitor the actions to be taken/ implemented by various stake holders as per the instruction of the government.
- Dial 100 facility has been established with Quick Reaction Teams (QRT) to receive information and to respond to the crimes against women in the Guwahati City area. Sophisticated vehicles fitted with world class technology e.g. AVL (Automatic Vehicle Locate) and GPS have been placed for fast response.
- Specially trained commando women Police force named as “Virangana” has been placed under the Police Commissionerate, Guwahati to respond promptly in case of any such report to the PCR and to prevent crime against women in public places including Eve teasing/stalking etc.
- Special Police Officers have been designated authorizing all the Dy. S.P (HQ), all Inspectors OC of PSs, all Circle Inspectors and all Inspectors of CID, to investigate crimes under ITP Act 1956 Act.
- Use of CCTNS will go in a long way in improving the efficiency in the working of Police Station including responding to crime against women.
- An e-Book on the Compendium of Advisories on Human Trafficking & Crime against women, Children, Senior Citizens & SC/STs has been uploaded in the new application software 4.0 version of CCTNS for use by the district Police.
- A Secondary Data Analysis has been done with the help of UNICEF and Social Welfare Department to identify source areas for Human Trafficking and related issues for necessary planning and action.
- A Family Counseling Centre is functioning at CID HQ to assist and counsel persons especially women who are victims of Domestic Violence, harassments etc.
- As per direction of MHA vide L. No. 15011/72/2014-SC/ST-W dtd. 5/1/2015 a proposal for setting up of 6(six) Nos. “Investigative Unit for Crime Against Women” in the District of Barpeta, Dhubri, Nagaon, Jorhat, Cachar and The Commissionrate of Guwahati City with financial implication has submitted to the Police HQ vide this Office Memo No. CID-VI/65-2015/IUCAW/577 dtd. 04/06/2015.
- A draft SOP for investigation of Crime Against Women cases has been prepared and awaiting approval of the concerned authority.